Publish more books.
Yeah, that's pretty much it.
I've tried several different approaches to marketing and I've had some success, but the common denominator for the most successful authors is publishing more books. Common sense, right?
Check out the track records of these successful best-selling indie authors:
- H.M. Ward estimated sales 4.2 million -- published over 37 books
- Marie Force estimated sales 2.1 million -- published over 28 books
- Amanda Hocking estimated sales 1.5 million -- published over 17 books
- Hugh Howey estimated sales 1.5 million -- published over 18 books
- J.A. Konrath estimated sales 1.2 million -- published over 50 books (yes, 50 books!)
I don't know about you, but seeing the number of books these writers have published makes me want to jump off a tall building. How'd they do that? I can guarantee they weren't spending countless hours researching how to become a successful best-selling author.
Instead of comparing myself to these writers, I look to them as inspiration. They're the reason I started this journey last summer. I didn't know what to expect. But it's a year later and I'm finishing up my third book. The more I write, the easier it gets. So maybe in a few more years, I'll have 10 books under my belt. Or maybe I'll be lost in a k-hole somewhere. Either way, I'll be happy because I'll be writing.
Keep writing. It saves lives.